Tuesday 10 August 2021

3 generations of Chumbleys

Date fished 10/8/2021

8am until 3pm

August normally sees me down in Dorset with the kids at my parents. This year was no different, although today's family trip was just 3 Chumbleys in D, A and R versions!  

I went early and set up kit whilst Davey went and collected Rupe from the Dawson's, where he had a sleepover. I set up a float and ledger rod for Davey and Rupe and I had floats already set up. It was gonna be a hot day and already I saw a few Carp on the surface. 



I was stalking a few fish when the others arrived. I missed a few bites so went back to fish alongside Rupe. We had luncheon meat and sweet corn as bait, some new and some that had been in the freezer since last August! Needless to say, the old stuff floated. This was both useful and not in equal measures!  

It was Davey who caught first, not the Carp we were after but a fish all the same. 


We fished on as the sun got warmer. Soon, I was off to the car to set up an umbrella over Rupe and I, the fishery is about a mile from my parents house so we literally could have brought the kitchen sink! 



The Carp were showing, but on or just under the surface. We were fishing on the bottom so didn't have the tactics just right. 

Eventually I hooked one of the varmits that was constantly attacking the corn/meat. 



With two of us off the blank, we looked to Rupe to level it up. It was not long and we were on 1-1-1 and all was good. 


We stopped for lunch, and sat together to eat our sandwiches. Davey commenting that Rupe was the last of the Chumbleys to keep the blood line going. No pressure son! 

Before we packed up, Rupe and I tried for a Carp off the surface, but with just the crusts from Rupes lunch, we were gonna struggle. A proper fish took the bait, but sadly no hook up. 

It was a great session with the youth and father. If today is anything to go by then the Chumbleys will be fine, as the final scores were:

R, A, D = 4,2,1



2 comments: