Thursday 25 August 2022

Wet cement

Date fished 25/8/2022
7am until 2.30pm

As usually happens this time of year, I was seeing my old school friends. Old as in, I have known them a long time, Yume since we were six and also old as in, we are bloody old! 
On this occasion it was a boys weekend in London, so I filled up the car and headed South. Work commitments for Dwix meant I was able to do some fishing on the way down before descending on châteaux Dwix.
Immediately I thought of zander fishing the midland canals as I was practically driving along the toe path as I headed South. 


I left the house at 3.20m. A) so I could have a full day fishing and B) in the hope I would 'avoid' the traffic. I knew I would have the London traffic on the next part of the journey, so lets enjoy this bit I thought. 

I parked up in an area I only "knew" from Google maps (street view). This was research in its truest form. I had obtained a day ticket from the Tusses website, and looked at their fishing water maps, the rest I did with the internet and asking some questions on facebook. Thanks to those that replied and gave me sound advice. 

Tackle was simple, as shown above, I also had a net, mat and angler food. I parked up and walked to the Canal, it looked like any other and I was confident of some fish.



I started chucking a pink lure about, I walked a few yards and chucked it some more. Lure fishing is exciting but it does take some skill. Not sure I have that skill yet, but I was excited! 
Eventually I changed to a green lure and first cast it was grabbed. I was hoping for a zander but was rewarded with a stripey.


The canal changed from looking like a wild river with trees to man made sheet piled sides with houses next to it. I do enjoy fishing canals for the variety. 




I walked a few miles and only caught sticks and snags. One snag I was particularly proud of. 





It must be a pb traffic cone and being full of silt, it was pretty heavy. It was hooked fair in the mouth too, so definitely think I can claim it!? 
I got back to near the car and it was 12 o clock, I sat down and started eating my lunch, the heavens opened. I ran back to the car and had my lunch seated inside. 




After lunch I decided to try the other way from the bridge. Again, I thrashed the water with pink and green. 

I fished on and the heavans opened again, I was due to leave at 3pm but it was just after 2 and I was soaked. I walked back to the car and prepared to drive to London. 

As mentioned above, the canal is an interesting place,  full marks for drawing and I wasn't expecting that handwriting!!



No comments:

Post a Comment