Friday 26 August 2022

Which Colne?

Date fished 26/8/2022
7am until 2pm

Today's trip was very different. I had decided to visit the Colne at West Drayton.


Like yesterday this was researched from home. I originally wanted to do some still water bream fishing but wondered if a day (or part thereof) was not long enough and what kit I would need made me decide against this. I will be back for a large bream - one day, 'stow awaits. 

I decided on a river approach as I could rove with pellets and hopefully tempt a chub or barbel. I only had short rods ( 9ft and 7ft) as I wanted something that could remain in the boot yesterday, and didn't think 12ft rods on display was a good idea. This meant I was limited to not being able to float fish, but I had tackle just in case. I had hoped a short rod could be utilised to ledger on the river, I wouldn't know this until I arrived and actually saw the river....

Not wanting to fanny around too much, I opted on a section of river within a Carp fishery at Thorney Weir/Mets. I had never fished in a proper carp venue before and from what I saw it looked good. 
The sat nav took me on a merry dance but I eventually arrived at the fishery, and bought my day ticket. I parked up and chatted with another angler, the lake was quite busy but of course the river was empty. It was a clear river with trees, and streamer weed. I was confident I could winkle something out. There were fish topping in this swim and it looked good, so I settled on  the lilies. 







I had a big raft downstream to my right and a large tree which created a shady area. I was sure this would be where the fish were. It was misty and cool first thing but I knew it was going to get warm. 
I fed some pellets and with Robin red hair rigged, I was ready. I cast in and waited. 
I would still be waiting now, I think. Maybe I got it all wrong. I saw a few smaller fish jumping about but my rod remained motionless. The blank was obvious.




It was now red hot, so I packed up and headed 'home'.  It was only 9 miles to Dwix's House, I was not on the Colne in Essex or the Colne in West Yorkshire. How many Colne's are there!? I could have blanked on all today. 

2 comments:

  1. Unlucky Adam, the Colne is not an easy river at all, a few sections hold okay numbers, other sections are almost devoid, if you want nudging in the right direction I am happy to help, just drop me a message when you are thinking about it again. Again, unlucky, its no shame blanking on the Colne, christ I did it enough before striking gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thanks James. Was a recce trip with a rod. Was nice to be out though. I enjoyed it, even with the blank!!

    ReplyDelete